Setting Goals | Akoniti: "No Duster"

Tuesday, January 5, 2010

Setting Goals

Good goals have the following characteristics:
1. Specific
2. Measurable
3. Dated
4. Passionate
5. Written
6. Spoken-tell yourself and others what you want to accomplish; seek mentors
7. Seen
8. Challenging
For example, I want to get stronger this year. I can make the goal better by saying, "By May 2010, I will be able to do 75 pushups without stopping."
Write down goals and review them daily. Create a mission statement for yourself. Set strategic goals (5-10 years+), medium term goals (<5 years), short term, yearly, monthly, weekly, and finally daily objectives. They all point toward your mission.
Finally, keep the essential question in mind: What am I doing (or not doing) right now that is guiding me towards (or away from) my goals? Assess and adjust as necessary.
Easy to say, harder to do.